An Intern’s Perspective Click to download the Power Point
Friday Knights II Recreation and Family Support Program for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders or Difficulties in Relating
Participants: Children and youth-ages 4-19
Parent group meets at the same time (facilitated by Monique Clement)
Time: 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Fridays
Location: Department of Disabilities and Special Needs (DDSN), 250 Victory Lane, Conway, SC 29526
Phone: (843) 347-3010
Dates: Download the Child Application below for the current schedule
• Friday Knights began in upstate NY in 2005. It grew from 30 children to its most recent…200! We are launching its sister program, Friday Knights II, in Horry County. We too are starting out small, but have a big vision!
• The Recreation Program is a structured and supportive recreational environment for children and adolescents who need opportunities for social interaction beyond what is available through school settings or community recreation programs.
• The participants include children and adolescents who have difficulties relating to their peers and may need extra support or more opportunities to use the skills they have learned in social skills groups. Children with autism spectrum disorders or other social challenges are welcome in the program. In addition, siblings and peers without difficulties in social relating are invited to join us and to enjoy the activities while serving as role models.
• Paid staff and volunteers from various professional and community organizations within Horry County are the counselors, activity leaders, and adult supports. Program staff are on site to provide guidance and supervision.
• Activities may vary by the age of the group but possibilities include structured board games, Wii games, movement, drama, yoga, history, science, music and arts and crafts.
• Parent meetings with special topics and speakers occur concurrent with the children’s program. Participation in the parent group is free of charge to parents and family members.
• Childcare is available to children under 4 who are not yet eligible to participate in the recreation program.
• Contact Shannon Peterson at email@example.com or Sarah Pope at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information regarding the Friday Knights II Recreation Program, or to request an application.
Parent Welcome Letter Staff Welcome Letter Program Application – Older Program Application – Younger Volunteer Application 2014-2015